breed and gender of this 2 chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gigelus2k13, Aug 14, 2013.

1. gigelus2k13

gigelus2k13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    Hi,

These are the result of my first attempt at hatching. They both have been hatched on July 3rd, which makes them 5 week old. The eggs came from a local feed supply and they couldn't tell what the parentage has been.

Any idea about what they are and, more importantly, what their gender might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and together with their mommy, a very dedicated Buff Orpington.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

The white chick might be a Delaware and the darker one is a Barred Rock.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. gigelus2k13

Feb 2, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    What about their gender? #2 is very black, is it true that in BR the dark ones are females? Because the chick's tail feathers stick up most of the time.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The white chick looks female, and she's not a Delaware, she's a mixed breed. Her pattern isn't a Delaware pattern, she has dark legs with light feathering on them. Looks like one parent had feathered legs, from the overall look of her it may have been a cochin as she's kind of fluffy, and looks to have a straight comb, which rules out a Brahma as the feather legged parent. I have no idea where those dark legs came from.

The second chick is male, and had one barred parent. True, pure barred roosters are lighter overall in color than hens, that's how one can tell he's not pure, as he's obviously male. No idea what his other parent was, except it was clean legged and straight combed, and probably yellow-legged.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2

7. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x3

8. gigelus2k13

Feb 2, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    If I may ask a noob question, how did you identify the dark one as being male? Is it the tail pointing up? Or something else?

Thank you.

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the big, very pink comb and wattles on it for its age

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sure, ask away!

As ramirezframing said, at this age it's all about the comb. That's why we always ask age when someone wants to know gender. If a bird had that much comb and was, say 4 months, I'd be saying probably female, always looking at the whole bird, of course. That much comb at 5 weeks is always male. Even leghorn pullets, known for their large, early combs, don't have that much at this young age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by