Breed and gender of this chickies? (◠‿◠)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by imogene08, Oct 28, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Today I got two chicks I was told they where all hens and Americunas about 4 months old but one doesn't have the puffy cheeks and pea comb and I'm thinking one is a rooster so any ideas? The one with one spots is Poppy while the other is Mable
    >>>>>>>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    I have a EE mix that has the muffs/beard but has a straight single comb. Also I think I remember reading that EEs can have a clean face. Both a pretty birds. My guess if they are four months old they are both hens since I don't see any waddles or large combs but I am not familiar with all breeds.

3. Kadra

Kadra Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    West Linn, OR
    I'm no expert but it looks too young to tell? Don't people look for spurs on the back of the feet or something? Just wait and see if they crow or get the "fountain-like" tails. Sorry I'm not more help. :)

4. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    They both look like hens. Pretty much anything goes EE-wise, as long as they lay colored eggs. That's why I love EE's, it's whatever when it comes to having one. So diverse. :]

5. laceynoelle

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    On second thought, can you please post another picture of your darker one? In the third photo, it almost looks as if she has some hackle feathers starting to grow in. In the other pics she's got a hen's shape, so this might just be her natural coloring, but it's good to be sure.

6. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Well they are still feathering which might look like hackle feathers but here you go>>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. laceynoelle

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    It's still hard to tell with her. :/

8. imogene08

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    I will get some more pictures when I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by