Breed and Gender of this sizzle/frizzle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JekkaLynn, Jul 29, 2014.

1. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    Can anyone guess at the gender and breed of this frizzle chicken?
    It is three months old and was sold as being 'probably' a hen. The seller admitted they were not 100% certain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They said they thought it was a silkie but I thought the comb color wasn't quite right for that. These are the only two pictures I have until later tonight.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Looks like a cockerel with perhaps some Cochin blood or even silky if he has five toes on each foot.

3. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    *sighs* I was really hoping that it was a hen. I guess he will just be my daughters pet until I can raise some unfrizzled babies from my trio of frizzled cochin/silkies hens with a normal silkie roo and then I can put them in with him and most of their babies should be frizzled.

4. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario

Now that I have it I think it is a cochin or a cochin silkie cross and I actually think it is a hen. It's comb is still only a third the size of my cochin hen's comb and it is not nearly as red in person as it looked in the picture. It is less red then the hens or my other young roosters. Also the attitude is nothing like my roo's. No way of knowing for sure till it either lays eggs or crows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  5. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

He does look like a rooster:(

6. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    It looks like a roo to me, lots of comb for 12 weeks.

7. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    Shoot

8. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    So after a day of having him it doesn't matter what he turns out to be because he is officially a pet. He runs to the door of the cage when he sees us coming and he loves to cuddle and be pet.

9. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    He rode on a blanket on my lap into town and came with me into the feed store and then intobthe pet store to got some mealworms. My Hubby left me at the pet store while he ran errands and Fluffy(named by my daughter) stood quietly on the counter and ate mealworms then begged for more and layed down on my hand for a nap whole me and the cashier talked chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by