Breed and gender, please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RawrSean, Jun 24, 2011.

1. RawrSean

RawrSean New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    I'm completely lost as to the both, these are our first chickens, they aren't for breeding or eggs, they're just our pets. We brought them inside to take pictures, and I have to say, this black one here sure loves to pose. Anyway, I tried getting the best shots of what I believe will help the best, but please bare with me as they were taken on an iPhone 4. Also, I can easily take more pictures, so please just tell me. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

My guesses: Some sort of bantam, because I know they're smaller, and I've tried to find their breed through pictures of other chickens (Which is like, impossible), and I believe the black one is a female and the other is a male, but that's just total speculation.

here's a link to about 18 pictures, I hope it's enough. If needed, I can directly post them here.

http://imageshack.us/g/848/img1086l.jpg/

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You have sll pullets:

The black one is an adorable Black Cochin, and the other is a Silver Duckwing Old English Game. You are correct that they are bantams.

3. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    girlies!!!

4. RawrSean

RawrSean New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    They're both girls? Are you positive?! [​IMG]

I was sort of looking forward to the sounds of a rooster, but I think we're better without. Anyways, thank you all so much, I really, really appreciate it.

edit: about how much larger can I expect them to get? I don't really think they'll get larger, but I don't really know.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It depends on how old they are. In my experience with Cochins, roos start growing enormous red combs pretty early. All of my roos were pretty obvious by week 5 or 6.

As for your little game hen, I'm 100% sure. Males cannot have that color pattern. Here's a good page to show you the difference between genders:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...us&ndsp=20&tbm=isch&ei=TeQETqGOAsO3sQLigd3TDQ

The very first set of pictures are of your game hen's breed.

6. RawrSean

RawrSean New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    We got them april 22nd, They were no more than 2 days old when we got them.

7. RawrSean

RawrSean New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    I saw a 3 month old black chicken, just like mine today. her comb was much smaller, and wasn't red at all. I think mine is a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by