Breed and gender please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KristyAnn, Dec 3, 2013.

1. KristyAnn

KristyAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    Got them from a person who bought a lot that came with these. The father appeared to be Leghorn and mothers unknown. If you guys can suggest what sex of each these appear and also rather they look Leghorn a bit or not, that'd be greatly appreciated and thank you.
    [​IMG]

2. KristyAnn

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    Also they are about 8 weeks old reportedly.

3. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    The one on the right is 100% rooster
    The one on the left is giving me second thoughts as it has very small dainty legs for a female but the comb is very big for a pullet

They both look like they have leghorn in them

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixed breed roosters. They could have some leghorn in them, and the white from the leghorn dominates most other colors, making it very difficult to see what other breed(s) could be there.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both look like cockerels. They may be poor quality Leghorns (because of the white legs on the left bird), or Leghorn mixes.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The one on the right is definitely a cockerel, and based on comb size, I'd say the one on the left is, too. As for breed, they're either hatchery quality White Leghorns or Leghorn mixes. Could even be White Plymouth Rocks, but probably not, as those have a different body type.

7. KristyAnn

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    [​IMG]The father looked dead on like this one here. No spots or nothing. Wish I took a pic. Thanks you guys anyways. I was really hoping for a hen, but oh well. I'm sure it'd mix well with my barred rock hen, orpington or RIR. Not sure what'd be a better mix, but if they're both cocks, one will have to go for sure:(

8. KristyAnn

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    [​IMG] I was told pullets and Ameracauna. What do you think?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  9. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Those look to be pullets but they are not Ameracauna. Ameracauna only come in 8 specific colors and a lot of other specifications and anything less of that is automatically an Easter egger. The one on the left is 100% pullet and the one on the right we'll need to see a clear picture of, preferably a side shot.

10. KristyAnn

Nov 26, 2013
    South Bay San Jose CA
    Nice. At least one for sure is a pullet. Thanks:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by