1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed and gender please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sparrow73, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Sparrow73

Sparrow73 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hi all, newbie here. I do not have chickens (town won't allow it), but I work at a shelter and someone brought in this chicken. She found it in the road and almost hit it and with all the snow we have and no houses nearby, they "rescued" it. Now I'm trying to figure out its gender and breed so we can adopt it out properly. Thanks for any assistance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    He's pretty :) He's a rooster, and he's a mix of some sort - I would guess there's some silkie in there.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a mixed breed rooster to me. He could have some Polish in him or Sillkie.

4. Indyshent

Indyshent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Or both. I've seen the colors more often on Polish, but he has really thin, soft feathers and that looks more Silkie to me. Silkie mixes rarely look much like Silkies without the namesake fluff though :( He's really fluffy about the bum, which makes me think buff Orpingtons though.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Silkie mix rooster.

6. Sparrow73

Sparrow73 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So definitely rooster then. Ok. He hasn't crowed yet, and he doesn't have a pronounced wattle, could he be young? I did notice some pretty big spurs, and I guess the long tail feathers add to the male determination?

7. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

It's his comb type that determines if he has a large comb and wattles, plus he has a muff and a beard which impede wattle growth. He's got a different type of comb than you see on other roosters with large combs, and it will probably never get any bigger than it already is. The large spurs mean he's probably at least a year or older - my roosters never get really large fully developed spurs until at least a year.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana

X2 on Silkie mix rooster. He's definitely old enough to be crowing, but I've had an occasional rooster that was really slow to begin crowning.

9. Sparrow73

Sparrow73 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thank you so much guys! Someday I'll move and be able to have chickens of my own, so maybe I'll hang about and try to learn a bunch before I take the plunge. :) You're very helpful! Thanks again.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by