Breed and gender question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Heatherschicks1, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Heatherschicks1

Heatherschicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2014
    I traded one of my ducks for a few from what I know Easter eggers chickens... But I don't know the breed and one looks a little different than the other too and I'm wondering if it is a boy... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I see EE pullets/hens in the photos - no cockerels/roosters to be found. How old were they reported to be? The rougher looking one may be going through a molt.

3. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    They are all she said a year or older... Two of them look the same but the one I wasn't sure about had more feathers around its head and neck and it's back feathers weren't as rounded as the other... It could be mauling but I just wasn't sure if it could be a rooster.. I know the pics aren't great

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree all pullets...with the bearded one most definitely an EE.

EE's are not a breed...which means there is no standard and no genetic stability that creates like birds from like birds (a recognizable breed).

EE's are hybrids, or mix breeds, which means no two are the same as the genes tumble through the punnett squares since an EE is simply Ameraucana (beard/muff) or Araucana (ear tufts) on one side and any other breed on the other...that makes for a lot of diversity.

The one bird with beard/muff definitely is EE. The others may also be, but an EE bred to an EE or another bird dilutes the genes even more and the Ameraucna beard/muff (and blue eggs) drops away.

LofMc

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're all female.

If you look at the actual shape of the feather, it's rounded. The coloring is an optical illusion that makes it look pointed.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    EE pullets.

7. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    Thank you all for your responses... I already have way to many rooster at the moment I would be sad if I had another... I guess I now need to figure our what rooster to breed them with or get another rooster. I have road island reds, white tetra tint, barred rock, and buff Orpington ... Not sure if any of them would ok mixes

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Easter Egger females.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by