Breed and Gender questions! *Pictures Added*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have two chicks from the pullet bin at the feed store. One from the Ameraucana bin (EE's) and one from the Rhode Island Red bin. I am posting pictures wondering...

a: Is my Easter Egger pullet or cockerel?

b.) is the little red chick a Rhode Island Red? I have never had one before so just curious if the pattern on the wings is typical? Also PULLET or COCKEREL on this chick if possible?

These chicks are two weeks old I believe.. [​IMG] Thanks for any help!

Easter Egger PULLET or ROO?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rhode Island Red chick? Pullet or Roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

2. Your easter egger doesn't have a beard and almost looks like my Welsummer girls did growing up.......and if it's a Welsummer it is a girl I believe.

3. horseyjess

horseyjess Songster

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    They both look like Girls to me!! #1 not sure of what kind I have a few Wellsummers and they look different than that! #2 I dont think is a pure RIR it may be a redstar or sexlink but I am far from an expert!

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you my fingers are crossed for girls! Yes I noticed the Easter Egger didn't have as puffy of cheeks as my older one did at 2 weeks. But her legs are that classic green EE color and she has a pea comb so hopefully cheek puffies will come in later.

The Rhode Island Red was from Belt Hatchery so she may very well be a production red or red sexlink. I am not familiar with RIR's so she will be exciting to watch! I will post pictures when they are 5 weeks to get a FOR SURE gender count [​IMG]

5. CannonChicks

CannonChicks In the Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Classic EE colors of the first pics you posted. Here is my EE that looks just like yours.
    [​IMG]
    FAR LEFT
    [​IMG]

6. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Your little red one is an identical match to my Production Red chick, exactly. Even down to the dark part on the beek.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    That is fine with me! Your above EE is beautiful! I was hoping for a different colored one then I already have.

I am totally happy with a production red, as long as she is a girl and lays me brown eggs I am happy! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: