1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed and Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5KajChicks, Apr 2, 2016.

1. 5KajChicks

5KajChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Does anyone have an opinion as to what breed or gender my chick might be this early on? What I bought was labeled as a "breeder's choice pullet". A few people believed it to be a Black Sex Link. The first pic was taken the day I purchased her/it, and the other pics 2 weeks later. So I believe it to be about 3 weeks old? I'm questioning the gender because the base of the comb is starting to pink up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Its a rooster. Not sure what breed but whoever told you it was a BSL is wrong. Definitely not a BSL.

3. Dom'sHEns

Dom'sHEns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    New Jersey
    x2

4. 5KajChicks

Apr 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Awww, I'm so sad that it's a rooster, they're are not allowed where we live :( Thank you so much for your help.

5. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Ahh, that sucks! :(

6. 5KajChicks

Apr 2, 2016
    Illinois
    I have 4 other chicks, 3 of them about a week older, 1 a week younger (I originally bought three, but my husband built a coop that could easily accommodate 6, so I added 2). Do you think it's too late at this point to add 1 more chick? I know I don't have a accommodations to integrate chickens down the road. But if I could still add another right now, I would be interested in doing that.

We're brand new at this, so please excuse me if this is a silly question. There is so much conflicting information out there, but I've found these forums to be the most consistent.

7. ftfarmer22

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon

No, I say go for it! But I might suggest getting 2 more instead of one so your new chick doesn't feel left out.. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

1 person likes this.
  8. 5KajChicks

Apr 2, 2016
    Illinois
    No one will have to twist my arm to get 2 more!! :) Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by