Breed and gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilbucker, Apr 11, 2017.

1. lilbucker

lilbucker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2015
    So I am aware this is a impossible task but I'm just curious about your opinions! [​IMG] I have 4 chicks all hatched on the same day. Approximately 4.5 weeks old. We got the fertilized eggs from a friend who has mixed breeds of hens and roos so it's anyone's guess! We will be happy either way I just like the mystery of it all and enjoy trying to figure it out! Thanks for the input!

#1 Marilyn Monroe or Marilyn Manson? I'm guessing that this one is a leghorn or mix leghorn because well, it looks exactly like my leghorn. I do know that their combs tend to grow faster and turn pink sooner than other breeds but what I noticed yesterday is the curling tail!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 Sally or Sammy? So the green legs make me think EE but it's not cheeky like my other EE! Maybe EE + speckled sussex mix. This baby came from a white eggs which is throwing me off. As with #1 I noticed a curly tail yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 Amelia or Amelio? I'm going with Barred Rock + buff cochin because well they have both on the farm we got them from and it looks like my BR but has feathered legs. This little baby is bigger than #1 and #2. She already squats down when you pick her up and is far more friendly then the others...not that that makes a difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Raquel or Rocky? Also looks very much like my Barred Rock. Also bigger than #1 and #2. No feathers on the legs. Maybe full Barred Rock? They do have BR hens and roos. This one got its tail fast! Very curious little chick that loves to explore!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    The first 3 pics is a rooster, the second 3 is a female, the third 3 pics is a female, and the last 2 is a female

1 person likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are very young yet, give them a few more weeks. The first one is an obvious rooster.

Amelia has really thick legs which would make me suspicious.

1 person likes this.
  4. lilbucker

Apr 27, 2015

5. lilbucker

Apr 27, 2015
    Today you can REALLY see the curling in #1 and #2's tails! They resemble roo tails to me [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lilbucker

Apr 27, 2015
    Update:
    #3 Amelio started trying to crow today!

7. lilbucker

Apr 27, 2015
    Update: #2 Sally is the only female. Emilio is HUGE and VERY VERY handsome! He is my sweet sweet roo boy! 20170914_123146.jpg my favorite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by