1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed and Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EmilyNC, Sep 9, 2010.

1. EmilyNC

EmilyNC New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Good Morning

I hope I can find out what I have, these are feed store chicks. The red ones were all from the pullet tank, and the black ones were straight run. They were completely black when they were tiny, but now they're getting some coloring going on. Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Emily

2. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    The red ones look like RIR to me but I am no expert. Dont know about the black ones. Hope someone else will help ya better.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The red and white ones are red sex links and pullets. The black one in the back looks to be a rooster, maybe an Australorp? What color are the bottoms of his feet?

4. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    the red ones are sex-links and are girls. [​IMG] they will give you lots of nice eggs. the black one in the back looks like a black australorp roo to me . the buff colored chick...maybe buff rock? the others idk. [​IMG]

5. EmilyNC

EmilyNC New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks! I'll have to look at their feet when I get home. What should I be looking for? I was hoping they were Australorps, but when they started getting the grey/white feathering I started to wonder. I thought Australorps were all black?

Emily

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The other 2 black ones with the silver leakage are not Australorps. I'm not sure what they are, maybe you could get some close up shots of them? The solid black one in the back of the pictures does look to be an Australorp cockeral. Australorps will have white on the bottom of their feet. Jersey Giants will have yellow on the bottom of their feet.

7. EmilyNC

EmilyNC New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Okay, here are some close ups...

#1 (most coloring coming in)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 (medium coloring)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 (least coloring)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some feet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sometimes do they sell mixes at the feed store? I'm hoping only #1 is a rooster???

Thanks!
    Emily

8. EmilyNC

EmilyNC New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Emily

9. captainmom

captainmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Centralia IL
    I may not be much help, but I think the coloring on the head/shoulders is what is called birchen? I could be wrong. If they are all the same breed, which to me they do not look like they are, it looks like 2 cocherels and one pullet (the one with the smallest comb being a pullet) Of course, if they are different breeds than it is anyones guess. I may have missed it, but how old are they? I am not sure about the bottom of the feet thing, I remember reading something about that on BYC somewhere, something about the bottoms of the feet being white if they were giants or australorps, Would have to look it up on here to know for sure. Hope I was of some help. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in here. Look like nice healthy chicks, whatever they are !!!

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    #1 and 3 are roosters. #2 could go either way, but for now, I'll say pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by