1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed and gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oswegoscott, Nov 6, 2010.

1. oswegoscott

oswegoscott Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Please help with breed and gender. The one with the largest comb is male-he's been crowing. They are about 14 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

1. Can't see feet, but it looks like a blue cochin pullet. (Are the feet/legs feathered?)
    2. I don't know what breed the cockerel is, the pullet looks like a black sex link.
    3. Striped one appears to be a barred rock - the dark coloration indicates a pullet but if it is a sex-link, it may turn out to be a cockerel. A full body shot would be helpful.

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Need clearer shots, and where they came from. As to me, pullet on the left in pic two could be a brown red OEGB or American game, depending, or could be a black sexlink. Were they hatchery, flea market, breeder, etc?

-Daniel

4. oswegoscott

Nov 6, 2010
    Thanks for helping. Yes- #1 has very feathered feet and is small.. #3 has feathered feet,but only on the outside.
    Got them at a flea market. Someone mentioned Australorp for #2 pullet

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

An Australorp would not have the orange streaks on the neck - a black sex link hen has the same black body as an Australorp but with the orange streaks. Black sex-links lay great, just like Australorps. However, both are large fowl birds, and like Daniel said, the birds in pic two could be a bantum breed (they do have OEGB faces).

They are all beautiful!

6. oswegoscott

Nov 6, 2010
    So,is #1 a Blue Cochin pullet? #3 with half feathered feet--a Barred Rock pullet? The 2 in #2 are pretty big --aren't Bantams small?
    Thanks again

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:#3 -- I would say was a Barred Cochin and look to be a young Rooster.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    #2 on the left is a either Black Copper Marans Pullet or a Cochin cross, on the right is probably a Partridge Cochin cross cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by