breed and gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bannyfan, May 13, 2011.

1. bannyfan

bannyfan New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    toppers
    breed and gender anyone know?

[​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    A few bits of info..would be helpful! How old?....The red one looks like a Road island red and the white looks huge, I wonder if he's some kind of meat chicken. Both look like roosters!

3. bannyfan

bannyfan New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    toppers
    i believe there a little over a month old now....the sign on the tub where i got them said hordies..lol..thats about all i know...i was hoping they weren't roos just got rid of a bad bad banny lol the neighbors are still nervous....the thing that was throwing me off was the fuzzy butts

4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Those are huge for only a month old and if that's the case they are roos for sure. Maybe the pic is decieving! I'm pretty sure that the white one is a meat chicken.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. bannyfan

bannyfan New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    toppers
    i guess i will know for sure when they start crowing...lmao

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    The white one does look a lot like a cornish cross. Hope it's the angle the pic was taken from. [​IMG] Does he have trouble walking? THey usually take a few waddling steps then flop down to rest and can usually be found very close to their feeder and water. They will often run and play with the other chicks, but they have to flap a lot to keep their balance. If so, he will need to be butchered in another month or he will live a very short uncomfortable life folowed by death by heart failure at a young age due to obesity his heart can't keep up with, nothing you can really do about it. [​IMG] I have 3 right now. I didn't quite realize how horrible they actually were. They have very sweet personalities, I just feel so sorry for them! Next time I get meat chickens, I'm getting some freedom rangers!

The other looks like a production red. not sure on gender.

7. bannyfan

bannyfan New Egg

Dec 25, 2010
    toppers
    omg you know my chicken...when it was younger it flop alot but nowadays its just at the end of the day before they go back into the coop i always just thought it was a dumb chicken...lol...

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Both roosters. White one is a Cornish X (meat chicken). The red one is a Rhode Island Red (aka Production Red).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by