Breed and Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SC-ChickMom, Dec 6, 2011.

1. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    I got 10 of these as packing peanuts. I am secretly hoping that the hatchery didn't give me 10 little roos. This little guy is 4 weeks old. He? follows me around the yard, sitting on my foot every time I stop. When the others puff up, stare him/her down and tries to fight, this little one runs and makes sure I am a buffer. Also, what breed is this? They have been the most fun to watch. They don't act like my other chicks. They come as soon as I open the coop door. I am unsure if this has to do with the breed or the fact they are roos that they are more confident. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    looks just like a buff orpington. I have some chicks around the same age and they look like that. I cannot say what the gender is, just by the picture.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. SC-ChickMom

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Thanks. How do you like the BO's? This little guy is the most feathered of all my packing peanut chicks. I don't know if that means anything for the gender question.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks like a BO to me too. The 4 hens I used to have were sweethearts, until they went broody. When they were broody, they were fierce, but excellent mommas (3 of the 4 went broody). I don't know about gender, its probably a bit too early. All of my buff roosters got reddish patches on their wings like this guy:
    [​IMG]
    The ladies will stay blonde all over. I got quite a few extras in my hatchery order (6 extra, though I declined the packing peanuts), only one of them turned out to be a roo. Good luck!

5. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I agree they look like buff Orps. Probably all boys, though, sorry. [​IMG] I have heard Orps make tasty fryers, though!

6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    At four weeks, I'm guessing roo, with that sized comb.

7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I can't tell the sex from the pics. but they are probably all boy. However they (in my case Ideal) have made mistakes when I got a bunch of LB as packing peanuts they put a couple of girls in with them. I was so happy! [​IMG]

8. SC-ChickMom

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Mine came from Ideal. I am [​IMG] that there is at least 1 pullet in the mix. Guess, time will tell.

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:[​IMG] for ya! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by