1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breed and gender ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Claire16, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Claire16

Claire16 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    These chicks are 4.5 weeks old and I know it is probably too early to know what gender they are, but if anyone can tell I would really love to hear it. Also can you tell what breed they are? Sorry for the photos. They see really hard to keep still. Thanks
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Claire16

Aug 14, 2013
    I appologise, these were uploaded from my mobile. I would really like to know if anyone can tell the breed or sex of these chicks. They are 4.5 weeks old. The red one I think is a hen and the white one a rooster. The only thing I have to go on is that the white one has a bit of a comb starting to develop that the red one does not. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. Claire16

Aug 14, 2013
    [​IMG]Another pic of the red one

4. rdilbarova

rdilbarova Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Huntingdon Valley, Pa
    That white one may be a little white leghorn

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the red looks like a red sex link chick, which would mean its a girl. The white one looks pretty big in the legs, might be a cornish rock cross. Where did you get them from?

6. Claire16

Aug 14, 2013
    We got them through a hatching program that my children's kindy do each year. I have since found out that the breeds the breeders supply to the kindies and schools are Australorps, white and black leghorns, new hampshires, Sussex and lohmanns.

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Does the white have yellow legs? They look white to me, which would take out leghorns, but I don't know what lohmanns look like. The white could be a light sussex, as light sussex have white legs, single comb, and would have white feathers with some black around the neck and tail. So if your white chick starts to get black in it, I would say its a light sussex.

8. Claire16

Aug 14, 2013
    Legs are pinky white. It looks like there is some faint darker spots on the lower part of the wing. Neck feathers are still fluffy at this stage. From what I can find, the Lohmann is a brownish red with white flecks through it. I think that is what the other one is.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  9. Claire16

Aug 14, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Here are some new photos at nearly 7 weeks. I was hoping to get 2 girls but I'm thinking the white one may be a little boy. What do you think? Thanks

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  10. Claire16

Aug 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

sorry here is other pic of both of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by