Breed and gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shelly Chip, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Shelly Chip

Shelly Chip Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Any guesses as to what breed and gender these bantam chicks are? They came from a farm and are probably mix breeds. I know the one is a polish, but I do not know what the other two might be mixes of. They have feathers on their feet.
    Chick 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    chick 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A pic from the top:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your guesses!

2. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I don't know anything about what kind they would be but OMG they are CUTE![​IMG]

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Chick #1 looks very male to me. I don't have any insight into the sexes or possible breeding of the others, sorry.

4. april29

april29 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Northwest Connecticut
    Brahmas have feathers on the feet. So whatever they are ,one parents was a Brahma., Who knows what kind of Brahma That fluffy offwhite one is adorable.[​IMG]

5. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    Chick 1 seems male to me as well. I am hoping chick 2 turns out to be a pullet. Thanks for the info about brahmas.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Brahmas are only one of several breeds that have feathered feet--cochins, faverolles and marans come to mind. Those breeds also have straight combs, Brahmas have pea combs so their offspring won't have straight combs and the chicks I can see are straight combed birds.

7. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    Ok, so these are probably not brahmas then. I will have to look at those other varieties you mentioned.

8. Shelly Chip

Aug 4, 2013
    They look more like faverolle mixes.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Well they appear to be mixes. I'd guess bantam cochin crosses since Favorolles are not all that common.

They are girls, so that's a bonus. VERY CUTE.

10. thompson88

thompson88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    tunkhannock, PA
    I'd say cochin mixes since they have single combs, yhe brahma pea comb is a dominant trait so if one parent was a brahma they would have pea combs, there legs are fully feathed so both parenys would be feathered legged so that will help narrow it down a lot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by