Breed and Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StephensonC, Nov 25, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I was told she was a Lavender Orpington hen, but sort of have some doubts. So, I was hoping you guys could help me out. The photos aren't great, but she is very flighty. She also appears to have some swelling under her right eye in the pic, but it is just the poor quality phone camera that I have. Also, the bottoms of her feet have some yellow spots, she has a very small pea comb that appears to be grey at the base, and very small wattles that are red. The couple that I got her from couldn't agree on if she was 8 weeks or 12 weeks.(That should have been a red flag to me right there.) But, I took her anyway. They guaranteed me it was a hen also, which that's what I'm thinking. Could I be wrong? I also know that they had some Blue Cochin's from Murray McMurray, and had a Silkie rooster, but unsure about what else they had on their farm. Mine doesn't have feathered legs, but could it be some sort of mix?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Looks like a BLUE Orpington hen [​IMG]

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Not an orpington, the OP states that chicken has a pea comb, orpingtons have straight combs

4. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I will recheck her comb tomorrow. It's very small and she really won't let me near her, but I need to start working on getting her to let me hold her anyway. I've been trying to let her get used to her surroundings so far.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If she has a pea comb, she's not an Orpington. She may just be a mix.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Were these folks selling chicks from their flock or chicks they had sourced from a hatchery and raised to this point?

8. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    This particular one, they said they hatched. But, the parent hen was from their flock and she was a Lavender Orp. I didn't think to ask about the parent rooster at the time and they didn't mention it either. But, in conversation it came up that they have a silkie rooster.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I can't see the comb in the pics well enough to tell what kind of comb it is. Can you get a better close up shot of the comb?

10. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Yes, I will be working with her in the morning and will get a better pic. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by