Breed and Gender?

StephensonC

Songster
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Richmond, Va
I was told she was a Lavender Orpington hen, but sort of have some doubts. So, I was hoping you guys could help me out. The photos aren't great, but she is very flighty. She also appears to have some swelling under her right eye in the pic, but it is just the poor quality phone camera that I have. Also, the bottoms of her feet have some yellow spots, she has a very small pea comb that appears to be grey at the base, and very small wattles that are red. The couple that I got her from couldn't agree on if she was 8 weeks or 12 weeks.(That should have been a red flag to me right there.) But, I took her anyway. They guaranteed me it was a hen also, which that's what I'm thinking. Could I be wrong? I also know that they had some Blue Cochin's from Murray McMurray, and had a Silkie rooster, but unsure about what else they had on their farm. Mine doesn't have feathered legs, but could it be some sort of mix?

Looks like a BLUE Orpington hen
1f60a.png

Not an orpington, the OP states that chicken has a pea comb, orpingtons have straight combs
I will recheck her comb tomorrow. It's very small and she really won't let me near her, but I need to start working on getting her to let me hold her anyway. I've been trying to let her get used to her surroundings so far.

Last edited:
Were these folks selling chicks from their flock or chicks they had sourced from a hatchery and raised to this point?
This particular one, they said they hatched. But, the parent hen was from their flock and she was a Lavender Orp. I didn't think to ask about the parent rooster at the time and they didn't mention it either. But, in conversation it came up that they have a silkie rooster.

Back
Top Bottom