1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed and gender?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by thecrumbler, Jun 8, 2015.

1. thecrumbler

thecrumbler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Illinois
    Our six week old poults have been growing like crazy. I hear contradicting info on whether or not you can tell their gender or not, and I'm not sure on the brown one's breed (the guy said Black something?!) so thought I'd get some opinions :)

They're pets now, not for food, I'm worried we have a boy and girl which would mean...more turkeys, lol. What do you think??

[​IMG]

Tigey (brown) struts all the time (I'm thinking boy)...

[​IMG]

Gobbles (white) is more submissive but can hold her own (I'm hoping girl)

[​IMG]

Gobbles is slightly smaller body and feet wise, snood is slightly smaller, but then again they're not the same breed. She's gotten a "flush" (red) head before, though Tigey is the serial strutter. Both their heads are balding a bit.

2. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Looks like two toms.
    Remember the BBB don't live long.

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I think they are both toms, but I'm not 100% sure on the white one. What breed(s) are they?

4. thecrumbler

thecrumbler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    Illinois
    The store we got them from said they only sold Standard Bronze and White Holland this year. We got one of each. Hmm.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I'm glad to hear that they're not Broad Breasted Bronze (which have a very short lifespan). [​IMG] I hope at least one is a hen.

6. MamaBird072316

MamaBird072316 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2015
    Crumbler how are these guys? So cute. They look like hens at this stage. So hard to tell. Although the balding on both does make them look like toms. What's the update?

7. Turkey parents

Turkey parents Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2015
    North New Mexico
    Similar to what me and my wife have, she has the White Holland Tom named Jupiter and I have the Bronze Hen named Mars. Jupiter likes to pose for the camera

[​IMG]

8. Turkey parents

Turkey parents Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2015
    North New Mexico
    [​IMG]

Mars likes to sit with and mother me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by