Breed and genders unknown to this novice

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DDominique, Nov 17, 2015.

1. DDominique

DDominique Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2015
    Virginia
    My landlord's dog killed one of my Barred Plymouth Rock Pullets. He subsequently put three chickens into my coop. I know one to be a probable male, probably bantam weight, though I don't know the breed. Another I am quite sure is a hen (pullet) but again, I don't know what type she is. The other-I'm torn between genders. [​IMG] Please help! Thank you so much. I've been lurking here for a while but only now created an account. I sincerely appreciate your expertise. [​IMG][/IMG]

The top pic shows the one I believe is female and the one I can't be sure about (ignore plymouth rock in doorway). The bottom pic shows one I believe to be a bantam rooster of some sort. Am I right? What breeds are they?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

You've got what looks to be three mixed breeds; top left and bottom are cockerels, top right is a pullet.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  3. DDominique

Nov 17, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]Ah, thank you QueenMisha. I suspected mixed breeds. The female is most interesting to me. She has pretty much a total absence of a comb. Any idea what breed has that feature?

I was afraid the two others were cockerels, dang. Well, thanks! :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  4. DDominique

Nov 17, 2015
    Virginia
    I lurked around some more searching keywords and now I think she could be an easter-egger mixed with a Rhode Island Red. Possibly other breeds, dunno, but I see people often associated EEs with a flat or absent or pea comb. :)

Thanks!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I also agree.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She looks like she might be a Dark Cornish mix.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

On the smaller bird, I'm thinking she could be a brown leghorn pullet. She appears young to me, and I'm not sure if she has a white earlobe or not? She'd be hatchery quality for sure, but if that's what she is she'll likely be a wonderful layer for you.

Can we get better pics of the first two birds? profile shots are good. I'm not sure they're males.

10. Nksg75

Nksg75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    I am sorry for your loss. I wanted to comment about your landlord replacing what his dog killed. I am impressed that not only he replaced the one, he added 2 more. He must have felt pretty bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by