Breed and Pullet or Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pikeman94, Jun 28, 2011.

1. pikeman94

pikeman94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    My Coop
    I received these two from the neighbor. They are mutts as she doesn't know what birds got together to make these beauties. I seem to recall she has RiR, Ameraucana, Australop, Leghorn and Turken.

I am leaning more towards some mix or RiR and Ameraucana/Australop only because of the red in the feathers.

This birds hatch mate is next to him/her. The hatch mate is definitely pullet and all black. They are both 11 weeks old. Neither has spurs or even spur buds. My first guess is pullet, but I will let you all offer your .02.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Pikeman94

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Ooo pretty birds!

I think you have a Barred Rock/Easter Egger mix. The one with red leakage in the wing is definitely a roo. I can't see the other's comb, but the coloring and stance suggest a pullet.

Beautiful pair! Congrats!

3. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    Quote:x2:thumbsup
    I like the one with the red leakage, very pretty [​IMG]

4. pikeman94

pikeman94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    My Coop
    Thanks! He? has very cool coloring.

If this were a roo I would expect more roo like traits. Crowing, spurs, herding mentality, but so far not seeing any of that. Of course I have been know to be wrong.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    Roo... The long skinny feathers hanging off either side of his tail like hair are his saddle feathers. I bet when the sun shines on them they look all shiny like they are made from plastic.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    The one with red in it look like a rooster.

7. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    I second the motion [​IMG] The pretty one with the red in it is definately a Rooster. DEFINATELY. The "red leakage" is the saddle and hackle feathers that roosters get when they get close to coming of age. I have a PURE buff orphington that I know is a rooster (he just started crowing) he was born in March. He just started crowing about a week ago and has no spurs to speak of. So you cannot go by the lack of spurs and he may not have his big boy voice yet. he will soon though once those manly feathers come out so will his big boy voice. He will be gorgeous! I demand more pictures when he gets all his feathers! His friend is definately a pullet. They will make a beautiful pair. As to breed they appear to be barred rock crosses. He may have some Easrter Egger in him and when your gal starts laying you will know if she does too cause her eggs will be as pretty as she and her mate are! Good luck

8. cram

cram Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    yep, i can almost see the shine on those feathers from here!!!! Rooster.

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Colorful one is a rooster, the other is a hen. The rooster is a Barred Rock/Ameraucana cross. The hen is part Barred Rock. I'd need a pic of her head to see if she has a pea comb or not.

10. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Hmm... I think you have a rooster, a hen, and they are both hybrids of I think dominique and something red/orange...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by