Breed and Sex of Chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HoosierSilkie, Jan 29, 2017.

1. HoosierSilkie

HoosierSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    [​IMG]
    I got these chicks from the "Miscellaneous Pullet" tank at Rural King. I was told they are Araucana, but I have my doubts. I know the little black one is an Australorp. I am thinking maybe Welsummers and maybe Easter Eggers? One has a much darker, chocolate colored head than any of the others. I know they are supposed to be female, but I've also gotten cockerels before. Please let me know what you think!
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Only one picture is showing. If they were marked pullets then they should all be pullets, although sexing isn't 100% accurate so you may still end up with a cockerel.

Edit: Now that more pictures are showing, I'm guessing they are Easter Eggers. Definitely not Araucanas, you won't find those in a feed store. The one you have that you think is a welsummer would have to have a single comb.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those are not likely Araucana... they wouldn't have tails... Do those all have tails? Some of them I can't tell.

What color are their legs? Do they have puffy cheeks?

Welsumer and Easter Eggers do both look like chipmunks at hatch.

4. HoosierSilkie

Jan 18, 2017
    Southern Indiana

They definitely have tails, except for the black one. Only one has puffy cheeks. Their legs are all a medium brown. They are about 2 weeks old (I was told). Puffy Cheeks: [​IMG]
    Clear view of legs:
    [​IMG]

5. EggSighted4Life

IDK.... those don't look like they have puffy enough cheeks to be EE. And I think Welsumer have more orange legs?

The Australorp is the one that looks like no tail.... in my experience the chicks that grow their tails really slow, I mean slower than everybody big time... those are usually always boys.

6. HoosierSilkie

Jan 18, 2017
    Southern Indiana

I was pretty positive in the store that they weren't Araucanas, although they did have an entire tank that they were selling as such. Would a Welsummer have a comb at 2 weeks old? I've only personally had Silkies, so these are all new breeds for me.

7. HoosierSilkie

Jan 18, 2017
    Southern Indiana

I'm starting to think they might be mutts. The Australorp can't be 2 weeks old yet; it's half the size of the others. I think it was mixed in the tank by accident. I'm really hoping for no cockerels since I already have a Silkie roo!

8. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

You can see the comb even if it isn't developed, I'll grab a picture to show what I mean:

[​IMG]

If you zoom in can you see how that chick's comb looks? It's a thin little flap with little points on it. That's how a welsummer's comb would look. EEs usually have pea combs, which at this age will just look flat. I can see in one of your pictures that at least one chick has that type of comb.

9. HoosierSilkie

Jan 18, 2017
    Southern Indiana

I'll have to look at them more closely tomorrow, but I don't recall seeing a comb like that on any of them. Maybe they are EEs and they'll lay some beautiful eggs for us!

10. EggSighted4Life

That comb is a straight comb, which is not on EE but is on Welsumer. Leg color can change a little as they get older. (now I see that isn't even the OP's pic after I typed my whole response, I better go to bed!)

A better indicator of the chicks being the same age would be feathering more than size.... do they have the same amount of down to feather ratio?

No matter which breed, I'm sure they will lay you some beautiful eggs! [​IMG]

Also, you can call the feed store and ask which hatchery they get their birds from if it's important to you... it will be easier to tell as they age a little what breed they might be.... unless maybe someone who is better than me knows, I'm still getting my breeds down but I don't have a lot of the chicks figured out yet. It is so easy for mix ups to happen both at the feed store and at the hatchery. It could even have been a "hatchery choice" batch of pullets. Yes, I have gotten 2 boys our of a pullet batch before. So it does happen. Some have even gotten the wrong breeds on their order direct from the hatchery with no middle man. Anyways if you do figure out which hatchery they used you might see which breeds they actually have available and make it easier to decide what yours are.

One last thought.... hatchery birds often do not fit the exact description of the breed standard. For example, one of my Wyandottes has a straight comb.

OK, one more... I have seen some hatcheries their to group the names Ameraucana, Araucana, and Easter Eggers together.... Quack! [​IMG] And still some that spell it Americana. [​IMG] Most feed stores truly do not know the difference... and always get a second opinion on any advice given by them as they often are well meaning but misinformed people.

Araucana should also have ear tufts.... which might look like puffy cheeks on a chick? [​IMG] ..... Come to think of it, I participated in a thread the other day where the person stated in the UK their Araucana are in fact NOT rumpless like they are in the US.

Oh.... I just saw you DID get these out of a miscellaneous bin... duh... I was just trying to go off the breeds you mentioned. [​IMG] So that explains a lot.

One of my favorite games.... guess the breed/gender/age.

Looks like a fun little group, enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by