1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed and Sex of Found Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pointsalamander, Aug 24, 2016.

1. pointsalamander

pointsalamander Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    This is Lulu.

Lulu jumped into my car one day after we left a garage sale.

We have no idea on Lulu's gender, or breed. We aren't super sure on age either only that the baby feathers are still going out and the comb is still coming in. We are hoping mostly to try figure out chicken or rooster.

Lulu is VERY friendly. Follows us around and tries to not let us more than 5 feet away. My 4 and 2.5 year old can easily pick up Lulu.

So far most of Lulu's noises are a kind of peep or chrip. There is no crowing or clucking. Lulu is VERY talkative loves to trill when a particularly tasty slug is found. And some noises remind me of a loon. Here are the photos I have of lulu they are taken either the day we got Lulu (less fluff around the butt) or yesterday (fluff butt).

If anyone can help thank you. If you need more information please ask.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a Buff Orpington cockerel to me. Oh, and many warm welcomes to BYC! [​IMG] [​IMG]

~Alex

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2, Buff Orpington cockerel.

4. pointsalamander

Aug 24, 2016
    eep... this does not bode well for Lulu... as Roosters are prohibited in my city.

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh dear, I'm so sorry......[​IMG][​IMG]

~Alex

6. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Agree, Buff Orpington cockerel.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry Lulu is a Louis

8. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    X2!

9. pointsalamander

Aug 24, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definitely looking more Lou than Lulu.

But my question. Anyone tell me looking at the progression photos... about how old is my dear Chick Chick. These were taken last night. So 3 weeks after the photo of Lulu on my black pants. So far there is no crowing, lots of possible clucking? No idea. Lulu is of course just as sweet and larger, but I can still get my hand around her to pick her up with just one hand. So not the biggest chicken yet. I've been reading and it seems to me that 20 weeks sounds like the magic age for buff orphingtons to either display being a guy or a gal by either crowing or laying right?

10. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    In the photo with the black pants Lou appears to be somewhere between 5 to 7 weeks old. I wouldn't be surprised if he started crowing in the next week or two. It has been my experience that the boys are always the most loving, friendly and outgoing of the two genders, making it quite difficult to part with them. I think the gender has been well established already but, yes, by 20 weeks you will most definitely know for sure what you've got :).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by