Breed and sex of new ducklings..?

Laurenwill93

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 1, 2019
My neighbors were going to let these 2 babies go in a town pond and I had to take them in. I’ve done a little looking up since these are my first ducks I’ve had in YEARS and only had ducks 1 other time I think they are Rouens? Maybe mallard but they’re pretty big. I think they are around 3 weeks? Also not sure. They didn’t give me any real info on them. Also if anyone has any idea on their sex I would appreciate it :)
image-jpg.3114379
image.jpg

Rouens, I think, too early to know gender. Let me guess, easter ducklings?
They told me they got chicks from the tractor supply (4 of them) and 2 died so they went back and the store gave them ducks at a discount…. They said they decided they weren’t duck people and said if I didn’t want them they were taking them to the local Canadian goose pond in town. 😣

I’ve noticed ones slightly bigger and also has some white on the underside of the tail. I’m not sure if it means anything but I’m trying to find all the differences I can to try and have some idea of gender. :)

The pond they were taking them to in inhabited by geese every year. I’ve lived here and never seen anything but geese there. I’m sure they would have died out there. I’ve been wanting ducks bad but since I’ve got a lovely flock of chickens I haven’t gotten any. I had ducks a long time ago so I’m thrilled to have some again. I couldn’t imagine these babies getting dumped! All they do is peep and follow us around.

Aww poor babies I’m so glad you took them in. Yes they are Rouen. You should start to hear some honk peeps soon if you have a female.
I’ll try finding a video of what a honk peep sounds like. Will the other stay making peep sounds or will it make similar sounds? I’m thinking the smaller could be a female since it’s tails staying fairly brown and the larger ones got some white going on but thank u ☺️ I’ll listen for different peeps from them Especially the guess for the female

Back
Top Bottom