Breed and sex of new ducklings..?

They are precious:love a female duck will quack a drake once old enough will sound raspy almost like a frog.
when a female starts to get her voice somewhere around 3weeks of age you might hear a peep then something that sounds like a honk. it won't be all the time since they are still young. Drakes peep quite a bit longer than females.
http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

They told me they got chicks from the tractor supply (4 of them) and 2 died so they went back and the store gave them ducks at a discount…. They said they decided they weren’t duck people and said if I didn’t want them they were taking them to the local Canadian goose pond in town. 😣
So sad that people think they can dump off ducks anytime they want
Those babies could get killed by the geese let alone all other predators
Where are you located
USA or Canada ?

So sad that people think they can dump off ducks anytime they want
Those babies could get killed by the geese let alone all other predators
Where are you located
USA or Canada ?
We’re in the USA in Oklahoma to be exact. The ponds right by a highway at a big machine works company (they build big major equipment that digs into the ground). I’m sure they would have died. I’ve never seen a single duck out there ever. My dad retired from their and we would go fishing there even when I was little and I’ve never seen a duck there. I couldn’t imagine dumping any animal let alone little babies. 😭😩

They are precious:love a female duck will quack a drake once old enough will sound raspy almost like a frog.
when a female starts to get her voice somewhere around 3weeks of age you might hear a peep then something that sounds like a honk. it won't be all the time since they are still young. Drakes peep quite a bit longer than females.
http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm
Thank u! Great info I’ll make sure to listen close to them. They are adorable 🥰 I’m so in love with them. I’ve already got them a nice temporary setup in our garden (which is where they will stay until they’re bigger) a hawk already tried to swoop down and get them so they have to stay by the house I made their pool a cave to keep them out of the sun but also as some hawk protection. I’ll have to upgrade once they grow some, but they’re going to be extra spoiled. ❤️ they gave them to us this past Sunday

Attachments

• 88366F62-4613-4319-9DDD-A6921DC1467D.jpeg
    88366F62-4613-4319-9DDD-A6921DC1467D.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 6
Very nice set up you have. Yeah predators are a big worry flying and 4 footed. Keeps us on our toes.
I think they could not have found a better home than right where they are at. Please keep up with pictures and how they are doing.
One thing I would do is get them on some type of niacin since they are going to be large ducks they need extra help keeping those legs strong and healthy. Nutritional yeast is one really good way of giving them the niacin all you have to do is add 1 tablespoon over top of 1 cup of feed . They should have this until at least 10-12 weeks old that is when they are growing the most.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom