Breed and sex of these guys??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rkirk, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Rkirk

Rkirk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Ok so... Looking for more hens and some geese and trolling craigslist I come across a local cop moving to a big city and needing to rehome her birds. She has 4 sweet hens, two geese and the feeders, waterers and two pools and all she wants is 35 bucks. I go meet her and the birds and it is a done deal. Bring the geese home. one appears to male the other possibly female. Well hens are awesome, but the geese... not so much. They were fine at first but then i got them home. OMGOSH! meanest gander I have EVER come across. We literally fought DAILY. He was relentless and because he couldnt overpower me he started attacking the other goose and my ducks. So I put an ad on craigslist 11 days before Christmas that basically said, for sale or trade. He was gonna get gone or he was gonna be christmas dinner. He was that mean. He hissed and went through the fence at my 2 yr old grandson and my brave boy grabbed his beak and screamed at him NO! haha! I don't think that gander knew what to make of it he just walked off mean mugging my grandson like he was contemplating on reacting but thought better of it. :)

Anyway... I got a call from a woman with chickens. she said she would buy them outright or trade some chicens. So we worked a deal for 20 chicks in exchange for the geese but she had to come get em and I properly warned her he was as mean as spit. She came with the 20 chicks. I have had them a month now and they were about 2 weeks old when I got them. I was told they were whilte leghorn, Americana and Dominicker. Now... I'd like to know based on the best picks I could get...What y'all thin of the breeds and if you spot any roos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    lol this one just wanted to pose. Think it is a girl but the look on her little face was classic :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Really think this front one is a roo.

[​IMG]
    Thinking girl??

[​IMG]
    Possibly girls??

[​IMG]
    Unsure but think girl on back of bucket??

[​IMG]
    Girl??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry pics not that good. :(
    Any thoughts?

I'm sure there may be a few cross but I can't rightly see any Americana's
    Also I did go to see her birds. she does have full grown pure breds but they are all penned together.

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I do see EE mixes anyway...no glaringly obvious roos to me, mostly hens it looks like [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    OK, I see no Ameraucanas or Easter eggers in the flock. Also no 'Dominickers' as all the barred birds have single combs. The white birds with gray flecking in their hackles may be Delawares or Delaware crosses. You are correct in assuming that there are several cockerels in the lot. The white birds may very well be leghorns.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. Rkirk

Rkirk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Is it possible that the white with flecks of black are leghorn cross?

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The whites with the black flecks look like Delawares.

6. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    The black and white ones are Barred Rocks

7. pipe

pipe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Barred Rocks X 2.

8. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Here is a picture of my Barred Rock hens.
    [​IMG]
    They are my favorites, they were the first to lay in my flock and they are calm and gentle.
    I also have Dominiques. If you do have a Dominique in the bunch, it will look like a Barred Rock except for the comb will be much flatter (Rose Comb) and the size when full grown, is slightly smaller than a Barred Rock.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I labeled the pics with the genders I saw. I don't see any Ameraucanas or EEs, although a couple of the barred birds are mixes.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes. They also resemble hatchery Delawares, but you have enough other birds that are white based with black feathers to make me think they're just mixes. When you cross a barred bird, you can get some interesting results....

[​IMG]

This hen had less black on her when she was younger, it's increased as she's gotten older (she's only 6ish months), so same may happen with your hens. My hen pictured isn't a Delaware, she's a barred rock crossed with who knows what--I have no white birds. [​IMG]

All your lighter colored barred birds are likely cockerels. You can pretty much tell the boys by all those red combs, looks like you're around 50%?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by