Breed and sex questions-Newbie!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by twinnersmom, May 9, 2009.

1. twinnersmom

twinnersmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Utah
    This is my first time raising chickens (and I love it!) and so I am learning as I go, but I have a question on one of my breeds. I ordered Brahmas but was unable to get them so I was offered a choice between two other breeds and ended up with White Austras, which apparently is a chick from a black australorp roo and a white leghorn hen. Anyways, I can't find alot of info on these birds and their combs are very prominent, they couldn't guarantee me that these would be hens so I am wondering if the pronounced comb means they are roos? I am trying to figure out how to get pics up, so bear with me, but any input so far?

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG] from Arizona!!

I don't know about this breed and I don't know how to upload photos here on BYC. I have tried and tried but when I need to post a pic I upload them to photobucket and then copy the IMG code found under the uploaded photo into my posts here and it works great. Maybe someone else can help you more.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they couldn't guarantee you that they'd be hens, they are most likely roos.... that's the experience I seen here most.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    It's pretty easy to upload a picture on here. On the blue tool bar near the top of the screen, there's a link to "Uploads." Click there, and then browse to find your pic. Change the size to 640x480 (I think, the one for message boards) and upload it. When it's done, there should be two links underneath the picture. Copy and paste the bottom one into the body of your new message. Click the preview button at the bottom before you submit it, to be sure it worked.

Good luck! Can't wait to see your pics.

Last edited: May 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by