Breed and sex tips please!

Tayto2022

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2022
We recently got some chicks from a lady I work with and they both turned out to be roos. Luckily she traded them back and we have two new members of our flock! I have no idea on the breed and I'm really hoping we didn't end up with another roo. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220818_122118.jpg
    20220818_122118.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220818_122012.jpg
    20220818_122012.jpg
    891 KB · Views: 2
Having the red combs and wattles at 8-10 weeks mean cockerels. The tail feathers are also a give away.
They will be trying out their singing voices soon enough. Take them back and exchange them for pullets/girls. No wattles or combs at the same age.
While your there, post pictures and we can help you pick out pullets. Knowing the breed will help too. Or go to TS and purchase pullet/ girl chicks.

Having the red combs and wattles at 8-10 weeks mean cockerels. The tail feathers are also a give away.
They will be trying out their singing voices soon enough. Take them back and exchange them for pullets/girls. No wattles or combs at the same age.
While your there, post pictures and we can help you pick out pullets. Knowing the breed will help too. Or go to TS and purchase pullet/ girl chicks.
Specificly the saddle and hackle feathers.:]
Does your tsc still have chicks? Mine only had them for about 5 weeks in April-May. I wanted to get some bantams this year and they only had 2 shipments.

Specificly the saddle and hackle feathers.:]
Does your tsc still have chicks? Mine only had them for about 5 weeks in April-May. I wanted to get some bantams this year and they only had 2 shipments.
Yes, tons of them! I was there today and they received a new batch on Thursday( yesterday).
I've noticed that different TS carry chicks for different time frames.
Plus, Walmart is starting to mark down their fencing.

Yes, tons of them! I was there today and they received a new batch on Thursday( yesterday).
I've noticed that different TS carry chicks for different time frames.
Plus, Walmart is starting to mark down their fencing.
Dang.
I even checked all the mom and pop feed stores as well as tscs within 50 miles and only one mom and pop had chicks and it was their last order, that was early May.

Back
Top Bottom