Breed and sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KatsCountryCritters, Nov 21, 2012.

1. KatsCountryCritters

KatsCountryCritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    She/he is huge! Larger than my other chickens. I got them in July and they were already 2-3 months old. None of my chickens have started laying so I have no idea if this is a male or female
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Light Brahma Rooster

3. KatsCountryCritters

Apr 1, 2009
    How can you be sure he's a rooster? I've looked at images online and the hens and roosters look so much alinke

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Brahmas have feathered feet. I don't have the breed but, it looks like a sussex hen. Looks like is should be laying soon however, without adding artificial light on a timer for added daylight - you might not see any eggs for a few more months.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  5. KatsCountryCritters

Apr 1, 2009
    She isn't a sussex, she has feathered feet. How do I add artificial light? And when should it be on? Will that really help them to lay?

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Sorry couldn't see feathers on feet. If it's a rooster it should be making some crowing noise by now. For more daylight - If you have power in the coop? You can use a light bulb on a timer to give the chickens a total of 12-14 hours a daylight each day. The light you use only needs to be bright enough so, you could read a news paper.

7. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Definite rooster and appears to be Brahma.

8. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Looks roo to me, the tail looks to sharp and i think i see some hackle feathers

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a rooster. Brahmas are known to be slower to mature so crowing may take a while. The hackle and saddle feathers are visible. If you could get a better profile pic folks could probably see them better.

10. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    Pretty sure it's a rooster [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by