Breed? Barred or Cuckoo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DMSrabbit, Dec 14, 2010.

1. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So i rescued these lil pullets about a month ago and the guy told me that they were both barred rocks. Now i am starting to think otherwise... I literally just had a cuckoo and she made a very distinct noise, I sold her, but now this newer darker one is making the same noise. It also appears to have slightly different coloration's on the feet and the coat. Im thinking the lighter is the barred, and that this one is a cuckoo maran. Can someone else confirm this? They look different right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The darker one looks like a Cuckoo Marans, the lighter one is harder to see the leg color. If it's white, then it's also a cuckoo marans. Yellow legs would be Barred rock. What do the combs look like? Both cuckoo marans and BR's have single combs, Dominique's have rose combs.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They both look to have yellow/slate colored feet, which is a Barred Rock thing.

The different shades there I'd first say is a sign of cockerel vs pullet, but so far the lighter one (usually the cockerel) isn't getting any bigger of a comb. .

Does the darker one have a rose comb?

4. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Combs look as such:

Suspect #1- Barred Rock (im pretty sure)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2- Almost certain it is a maran now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If anyone is a Marans, it is chick #1 - It has pinker legs. (Marans should have solid pearly pink legs) But honestly, now with these new photos, they both look the same, and both look like BR's.

6. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Yeah, they look like my hatchery quality Barred Rock, who's legs are nearly white, but she is definately not a Marans.

7. Myabcs3

Myabcs3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Vinland Valley, KS
    I agree - all Barred Rocks pullets. They look just like my girls. Also, my barred rock rooster was noticeably lighter in color with a finer barring pattern. His comb was much more prominent at that age compared to my girls.

My cuckoo marans are much more muted in their barring and the barring is not as white.

8. DMSrabbit

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Ok, Barred Rocks they are!!! thanks for all the responses.. I just thought the differing color variations meant something. Im starting to wonder about buying from hatcheries. It seems that their birds are truly inconsistent in form, or are of poor breeding quality. I have never ordered from a hatchery, and i think it may stay that way..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by