1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed characteristics...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicksurreal, Oct 27, 2015.

1. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    This is Dooley, He comes from a very large Cuckoo Marans roo and a Wyandotte hen (I think). My assumption about the Wyandotte hen is because of his comb, but I'm not 100% certain because we have other brown egg layers too and he was hatched out of a brown egg. Our other brown egg layers are Delawares and Dark Cornish, his comb looks like Wyandotte to me though.

Anyway, he has VERY long legs that seem disproportionate to his body size. He may fill out, he's only 15 weeks old right now, but I was wondering if there could be some type of game chicken in his DNA. The hen and roo are both hatchery stock, so I guess anything is possible. Any ideas from looking at him?

[​IMG]

2. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Here's a picture from the front.

[​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Looks like hatchery stock Dominique.

4. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    This is the roo that fertilized the egg, we were told he is a Cuckoo Marans. He's molting here, so he looks a bit ratty.

[​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Oh, missed that he was a mix. Yeah, probably a Cuckoo Marans/Wyandotte mix

1 person likes this.
  6. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    He looks exactly like what I would expect from a cross between a Wyandotte hen and cuckoo Marans rooster. Cockerels usually have a tall and leggy look at that age. He will fill out a lot more over the next couple months.

1 person likes this.
  7. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Good to know. I was concerned about his size vs weight ratio. My other cockerel that is around 15 weeks old, a Silver Spangled Hamburg, is much more filled out and proportionate looking. This guy might be a big boy eventually, he's already almost as tall as his "dad", but much more gangly.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    depends on what you want in a rooster

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Twins, anyone? [​IMG] This is a barred Rock rooster over a SLW hen, so just sub yellow skin for your guy's white skin and it's pretty much the same. First pics were around 3-4 months.....pretty scraggly looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's around 6 months. The Wyandotte influence really kicked in and I got a nice, meatier bird. I feed an all-in-one feed, around 18 or 19% protein and he filled out nicely on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by