Breed check on 2 chicks. **UPDATED with buckeye sex question on pg 2**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Deltabwa, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Deltabwa

Deltabwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    I asked about these two chickens, 4 weeks ago. They are now just about 11 weeks. Still questioning what they are. Ordered from MPC. I'm wondering if they are a Buckeye and NHR? Pics 1-3 are the one I am hoping is a buckeye. Pic 4 shows the difference in color between the 2 I am asking about. 5-8 are maybe a New Hampshire? And is there really no difference between RIR, NHR and Production Reds?

TIA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They do look to be a buckeye and a New Hampshire. Rhode island red are a darker red, production reds are usually darker than New Hampshire but lighter than Rhode island red, production reds from my understanding are mostly Rhode island reds that haven't been bred for the dark coloration. New Hampshire are more orange red with dark feathers in their tail.

3. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

I'd say second picture is a Rhode Island Red and fith picture is New Hampshire. There is a difference between those breeds New Hampshire is lighter and Rhode Island Red is darker. As for the others they look like those same breeds. Hope this helps. :)

4. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana

Thanks! I got extra to give to my mother in law who had something get into her young ones so trying to decide which to give up lol

5. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana

Thanks. Pics 1, 2 and 3 are the same chic, 4 is both chics for color comparison and 5, 6, 7 and 8 are the same chic, as well as the same as one of the ones in pic 4. If that makes a difference to your opinion

6. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Actually I kinda figured that. :)

7. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    ") I kinda figured so but you specified 2 pics out of the group so just wanted to make sure you didn't miss that. :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First bird had the more mahogany coloring and pea comb, so Buckeye.
    Second bird has more orange-ish red coloring,and the kind of Colombian markings, so probably a New Hampshire.

Hatchery birds can be very interchangeable between RIR, NH and production reds. Most hatcheries churn out a generic looking red bird that doesn't really meet the breed standard for either a Rhode Island or a New Hamp, so they're referred to as production Reds.

True Rhode Island Reds are a rich, dark mahogany color, with a body shape like a brick. New Hampshires are a lighter, more orange-ish color, and I believe a bit more upright and lighter bodied.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

10. Deltabwa

Oct 30, 2016
    Southeast Montana
    Thanks so much! That's what I was hoping for

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by