1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed check

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hatrabbit, Feb 18, 2013.

1. hatrabbit

hatrabbit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    I've learned from people here and elsewhere that my original ID of these hens as Buff Orpingtons was wrong. I've have heard several suggestions as to what they might be... I figure I'll put it to the forum and rely on you all to pin them down. What breed do you think these are? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are red sex links all the way

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    x2!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Red sex link hens. Buff orpingtons are a solid gold color, like a gold watch or necklace. They're also rounder and fluffier.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I wonder if they are hatchery New Hampshires due not to having white detail on tail and neck.

If they are red sex links, can anybody tell me what breeds were involved in the cross to produce hens without any white like these?

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Interesting notion Kev.

I know some of my RSLs had very little white, but they did have some white.. all of them.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If you bought them from a "pullet" bin at the feed store, I'd presume one of the many varieties of sex links. But, barnyard mixes can look like that, too. So can second-generation sex links (when people breed male and female sex links thinking that the offspring will be sex links).

8. k42001

k42001 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    I think they are red sex links.[​IMG]

9. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Could they be some sort of production red hybrid that tends towards the buff end of the spectrum?

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    yeah that's my line of thought. Those hens have black in their tails which means they do not have dominant white so very typical of red sex links.

if they are red sex links, then they definitely are not the typical ones. or they might be a hatchery produced breed-we know they can throw quite off-types... NH are lighter than RIR so I was thinking what if these are hatchery NH which could explain why they are so light. Also, NH seem to have a trend for very little or no black on their necks.. much like those hens.

or they could be mixes. production red bred with some dual purpose ?? and those two didn't get the dominant white gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by