Breed Check

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dentonjay, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Dentonjay

Dentonjay New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Hello,
    This hen was found in the woods and I was able to get her to join my flock after no original owner came forward. Any idea breed?
    she is? Her name is Elsa[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Hmmmm...she sure is pretty.

She looks softly barred...ghost barred...although maybe more cuckoo...but she is not a Cuckoo Marans.

Her body shape is mindful of a Marans or a Wyandotte. She is mainly layer type (vs. game).

Is it the photo angle, or is her comb a bit odd? It looks sort of a cross between pea and single...single below with a floweret at the top??? I have heard that you can get some odd combs from a pea comb and single comb cross.

I think she is a mix with obviously a barred or cuckoo on one side.

Right now...I'd say Cuckoo Marans possibly on one side (but would have to be a leg featherless type as she shows no leg fethering)...or a Wyandotte and possibly Barred Rock.

Just my guesses.
    Lady of McCamley

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree. She's a beautiful hen and you've given her a cute name. We have an Elsa in our flock (named by my granddaughter who names our hens after Disney princesses). Do you happen to be a Frozen fan as well? :eek:)

4. TheBeardedNerd

TheBeardedNerd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    I'm thinking Barred Rock and Cuckoo Maran mix.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking that she's a Cuckoo Marans mix.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    As others agree...and thinking about that comb...if you are lucky she might be somebodies Olive Egger project.

While Cuckoo Marans do not lay as dark as the Black Copper do, they are a darker layer and crossed with something that is blue based such as a pea combed EE, that could account for the ghost penciling at the neck and the odd comb...however she would have came away without beard or muff from EE or leg feathers from Marans (which could have been leg feather free)....or crest from a Cream Crested Legbar.

She might be a second generation effort to try to get darker olive.

But all of that is just musing.

No matter...pretty bird...with likely Cuckoo Marans.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Cuckoo Marans mix to me. Pretty hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by