breed choice for rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bj taylor, Dec 18, 2012.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i just want to say my rooster is the best possible rooster i could have. i sweated it for so long. i was going to have a buff orp. rooster, but my dog ruled that out by killing him. i then got five chicks hoping they were all girls. all but one were boys. i ended up keeping one black australorp. he was never friendly. always stand offish.
    he is huge, still stand offish. he's ever vigilant, kind to the girls. he lets me know whenever there is a problem. he never considers attacking people or the other animals. i could not ask for a better rooster.
    for anyone trying to decide - i highly recommend this breed - if my guy is representative of the breed.

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    You should post a picture! I was thinking of getting an australorp but instead i bought me a EE. I just fell in love with his colors at the auction.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I love,love,love my production red rooster...eats out of your hand, watches out for his girls,is good with tiny chicks even! We hand raised him though.....I can't praise him enough for how good of a roo he is!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    It's interesting you like your Production Red rooster - I have PR hens that are sweet and gentle. My rooster is a sweet guy - he's a Gold Laced Wyandotte - kind and friendly and not rough on the hens. My one hen GLW, on the other hand, is a little she-devil and has been since she was small. Pecks at other hens, pecks at me, pecks at everything. Go figure.

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I love them....I have really great hens and roos . I know some are nasty but I got lucky I guess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by