Breed Choice

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hoover67, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Okay, my bees are doing well so I am adding chickens! I live in a neighborhood in the county with no restrictions that does have a non-funded homeowners association. No sheds, no chickens.... well most people have sheds and break several of the other lines of the covenant. I am going to go ahead and build a coop and get some chickens - hens only. I figure each of my six kids would love a new pet chicken each. With times as tight as they are, it would be nice to feed a pet the gives back more than love (not that that is not enough). Anyway, my question is what is the quietest, friendliest breed? I do have an incubator that we may start with. We have hatched eggs before and given the to farmers. Should have kept them. The kids got really attached to them!
    Michele

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    My Ameracuanas are really quiet and they give great blue and green eggs.

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    In my limited experience sussex are the quietest and also very docile.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    my amerucanas are quite when they aren't stressed. My favorolles are snuggle bugs but are also very loud

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say amerucanas. They come in crazy different colors and are big hearty birds who aren't loud, lay huge colored eggs, and are full of funny personality, very easy to make pets (the best way to their hearts is through their stomach!)

6. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Black Australorp's are very nice and lay great, calm and beautiful to look at.

7. Iceblink

Iceblink Chillin' With My Peeps

My Barred Rock is my quietest, sweetest, and easiest to carry. My Buff Orpington is a close second, but boy is she proud of herself when she lays an egg. She sings to beat the band. During the rest of the day she is pretty quiet though.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    In general, I'd recommend Australorps or Orpingtons.

There are NO guarantees with chickens; some quiet breeds have noisy individuals and some highly energetic breeds have docile specimens.

Much has to do with the particular strain within the breed itself.
    Some strains are entitites unto themselves. And I have never seen any chickens which are dead quiet. They always make some noise.

If you will be having males in your flock, then plan on irritating someone on the HOA comittee

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    BRAHMAS are the best to me!

10. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Great. The local feed store currently has pullets: amerucanas, rock island reds and one other rock something. My other choice is to incubate eggs from a friend who has some orbingtons that would be mated with another breed of chicken. No roos for us! They will be located in the garden corner that has back yards for all of the other neighbors that are never out in the yard. There is also a drainage easement that puts them farther away. Of course, we always have neighborhood kids here so word will get out! Lets just hope we get no flack for this. If not the birds will have to go to a friends house as a back up plan! Surely the hens won't be much louder than the pidgeons that roost on my neighbors roof!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by