Breed Choosing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Welshies, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Stuck between Plymouth Rocks and Australorps. I live in northern Alberta, so cold winters and warm summers. I want slightly tamer chickens, but ones that are self sufficient, and can raise their own chicks. For meat and eggs.

2. moving coops

moving coops Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    Both are good! Barred might be slightly larger meat wise especially true if getting hatchery type.

I have barred which we raise for meat for our large family and they lay great and will also be selling chicks this spring and summer too. Mine are not hatchery but show line and high production line love them and getting Australorps eggs this years for my next years breeding and selling! But again the one I am getting are from a high producing line that get pretty much as large or maybe as large as my barred and pretty on top of it all!! True stock! They have won ribbons!

I am in Saskatchewan! I think both will be very good to meet all around means! I will have about 10 other pure heritage breeds but yes these two the best for family all around production!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Look at Henderson's chicken breeds chart. I am in growing zone 4. Prefer small combed birds. Will not have feather footed birds due to concern about freezing issues, and them dragging mud and other debris into the nests. Favorites are Dominique and EE. Both are a bit on the smaller side for meat. Dom eggs are likely to be a bit smaller than PBR eggs. Doms make good broodies. They have a rose comb which is less prone to frost bite. You can't beat Doms for friendliness! They are also not at all aggressive in the flock and make nice eye candy IMO. If you did a mixed flock of Doms or PBR and Australorps, and kept a Lorpe Roo, you could raise your own black sex link chicks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Both.

No reason to limit yourself to one breed. I say start with several [​IMG]

Seriously, I've fallen in love with breeds on paper, and then when I got them in person.....not so much. And the reverse, specific breeds never really appealed to me but I wound up with a few, and they wormed their way into my heart.

5. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    My only concern is selling chicks in spring... will purebred chicks sell better?
    And, what if they lay different eggs? Can i just take the one breed's eggs and leave the others' (purebred) eggs?

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't have any problems selling mixed breed birds, especially if there's a colored egg layer in the gene pool. Not sure if it would be different in your AO, but here folks don't seem to matter. If I can guarantee it's a pullet, they'll buy it. Once in a while I get someone who wants specific breeds---but usually barnyard mix does well.

As LG pointed out, black sex links would work well, with the barred Rock hens. You could use a variety of roosters over them, the Aussie would work nicely. If you're wanting to sell chicks that would be a great way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by