Breed Colors

SoldierSailor

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2015
Oceanside CA
I bought our chiicks at the end of June-5 out of 11 are laying now!!!

When we got them how the colors would turn out was obvious RIR --Dark Brown Leghorn White.
Some colors were advertised as one thing and we ended up with another.

This is what we expected with the Blue Andalusian

This is what we got. Tango and Cash.
They have a lovely blue sheen to their feathers but certainly do not look
like the grey displayed on the california hatchery website

As always I appreciate the help

Andalusians are Black/Blue/Splash. The blue/splash color is the result of a dilute gene for black. Blues have one copy of the dilute gene. Splash have two copies of the gene. Blacks don't have the dilute gene at all.
When you order a 'blue' color, regardless of the breed, there is always a chance of getting a black or splash chick instead.

Blue is a tough color gene in chickens as it usually rides along with the black and splash gene in my experience. This means a Blue Andalusian could be black or splash, though this would disqualify them from showing as Blue Andalusian I think... Not sure though...

Like the other said while you ordered a blue you got a black that carries the blue gene. In show theses birds are not allowed to be showed and will be DQ but if you can get a good blue hen/rooster (depending on this one gender) you can breed for a pure batch of blue.

Like the other said while you ordered a blue you got a black that carries the blue gene. In show theses birds are not allowed to be showed and will be DQ but if you can get a good blue hen/rooster (depending on this one gender) you can breed for a pure batch of blue.
Blacks don't carry blue. Black's just don't have the gene at all. Blue is a 'dilute' gene for black. Blues have 1 dilute gene. Spash have 2 dilute genes.
A blue to blue breeding will not produce 100% blue chicks. The only way to ensure 100% blue chicks is to breed a splash (2 dilute genes) with a black. That way, all of the chicks will get only one dilute gene, producing the 'blue' color.

Really? all my research has always come up with this:

Spashxblue= blue
bluexblue= 50% blue, 25% splash, 25% black
blackxblue= most of the time all blues but can admittedly produce black chicks
blackxspash= pure blues as you stated.

The blue gene is a rather funny lot to deal with, same with the black because it caries many recessive and diluted genes.

Also if memory is correct one can always breed a black to a white to produce blues also, that is if the white is a recessive white and not a dominant white.

Last edited:
Black to white will not produce blue. White can be recessive or dominant. A single copy of recessive white will not affect black. 2 copies of recessive white or a single copy of dominant white will turn all black coloring white.
Blue is a dominant dilute gene for black. Blacks have no dilute gene. Blues have 1 dilute gene. Splash have two. Lavender/self-blue is a recessive dilute gene for black and requires two copies to express. Here is a break down of how the blue gene works.

Last edited:
Really? all my research has always come up with this:

Spashxblue= blue
bluexblue= 50% blue, 25% splash, 25% black
blackxblue= most of the time all blues but can admittedly produce black chicks
blackxspash= pure blues as you stated.

Black x Black = 100% Black
Black x Blue = 50% Black, 50% Blue
Black x Splash = 100% Blue

Blue x Blue = 25% Black, 50% Blue, 25% Splash
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash

Splash x Splash = 100% Splash