Breed comparison please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kidsnchicks, Aug 21, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    My daughter is wanting to take a pair of ducks to show for 4H next summer. She is wanting to get either Blue Swedish or Cayugas. Is there one or the other that would be better? Also we will be getting them from a hatchery unless we can find some locally(haha), she will be keeping her 4H ducks in there own pen and coop area should w get a couple of hens with the drake and she can choose which hen goes to fair with the drake?

Thank you

2. duckluv

duckluv Crowing

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    I think the Cayugas are of better show quality because they are of exellent color and calm.

3. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Thank you, yes with kids, Im thinking calm is good,lol.

4. duckluv

duckluv Crowing

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Your welcome [​IMG]

5. maggiemmm

maggiemmm In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    I think Cayugas would be a great bet. Swedish Blues are not as fancy- dancy ..but they are very calm and sweet tempered. Cayugas are nice ducks beautiful coloring , nice temperament, easy to handle. A good bet. Good luck !!

6. scooterward

scooterward Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    When I was doing my homework as to which breed of duck to get, I narrowed it down to Blue Swedes and Cayugas. I went with Cayugas. They are beautiful! If you can get them from a breeder that will probably be best. I got mine from a hatchery and both girls have juvenile white feathers which I believe disqualifies them from showing. I read somewhere on BYC that breeding has to do with that. The black is wearing off from their bills and are now showing green (I originally thought it was grass stain!) and the black is wearing off from their legs and feet and are now showing orange. It doesn't matter to me any at all since they are my pets that will give me eggs (and entertainment). I'm glad I went with Cayugas. I like them. I would go with them again.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by