Breed comparisons -- opinions/experience?

Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
A couple years ago I got Red Rangers, Dixie Rainbows, and Delawares from S & G Poultry. I wasn't pleased with the way they turned out... I was hoping for a meatier bird with more breast meat. The only thing they've been good for is soup. This year I'd like to get a breed that fits my expectations a little better.

I'm looking at 4 different ones.
  • The Freedom Ranger breed is almost exactly the same as the Dixies, so I don't think they'd be the best choice.
  • McMurray's Cornish Roaster (NOT the Jumbo Cornish X Rock) seems to be decent.
  • Standard Cornish pretty much seem to fit the bill, except my mom is concerned about the write up saying they "have very tight muscling; [they] are very popular with those who prepare poultry dishes, which need the meat to be firm following cooking." Since she has trouble getting meat to be tender, she's concerned about getting a breed that says it's tough. McMurray's write up on the Dark Cornish doesn't say anything about the meat being tough, and one of the reviews says they're delicious.
  • Another breed is the Heritage White from S&G Poultry, which seems very similar to the Cornish Roaster.

Anyone with opinions/experience with these breeds? I don't want a breed that grows so fast it has leg/heart problems, and I want more breast meat, and the meat should be tender.

Hmm... I really don't want that breed. Limiting their feed that much and having them so heavy they can't walk is not something I want to deal with.

What about the breeds I listed there? I would *prefer* the standard Cornish but my mom is concerned they won't meet our expectations.

Last edited:
I doubt any chicken will meet your expectations except the Cornish X. You just need to raise them right and you should have no issues.

Darin

Hmm... I really don't want that breed. Limiting their feed that much and having them so heavy they can't walk is not something I want to deal with.

What about the breeds I listed there? I would *prefer* the standard Cornish but my mom is concerned they won't meet our expectations.

The recommendation is to provide feed 24 hours a day for the first three weeks to Cornish cross chickens. After that you just do not provide feed at night to the chickens. That way you will not have the problem with them not being able to walk.

Cornish cross are ready to butcher at 6 to 8 weeks.

Not providing feed at night for 3 to 5 weeks doesn't seem like too much trouble, and I think Cornish cross will give you a lot of breast meat, as you are looking for.

You might want to try Rosambro's from MT-DI I have raised them with good success. At 10 weeks or so they dressed out at 5lbs dressed and had huge breast unlike other more traditional broilers I have raised. They are a french breed and seemed to do well. I have also done Kosher Kings and they don't dress a large and have a longer kiel to thier brest but had large legs and thighs. The rosambros are mostly all white with a few having a black feather or two. Look at MT-DI hatchery on line.

Back
Top Bottom