Breed compatibility: New Hampshire/Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by steaknegger, Apr 3, 2017.

1. steaknegger

steaknegger Just Hatched

Sep 24, 2016
    momence, IL
    I recently acquired a New Hampshire Red Rooster from a reputable source at a local swap meet. He is currently in isolation for at least a couple weeks as a precaution. My intent was to breed my own black, and eventually red sex links. I am planning on replenishing my aging layer flock while mostly cooking excess cockerals (for soups and such). Should I expect to be able to keep him with breeds like Barred or white Plymouth rocks, or should I plan on keeping him separate, except for breeding. My layer flock consists of Barred Rocks, Whiting True Blues, Red Sex-Links, Brown Leghorns, and a Minorca. Just wondering if I should build a new enclosure while he is in quarantine. Thanks in advance for your replies, I am finding this site to be a valuable resource.

2. steaknegger

steaknegger Just Hatched

Sep 24, 2016
    momence, IL
    If I have posted this question in the wrong area, please let me know. THANKS!

3. steaknegger

steaknegger Just Hatched

Sep 24, 2016
    momence, IL
    [​IMG] Here is a photo of him.

4. steaknegger

steaknegger Just Hatched

Sep 24, 2016
    momence, IL
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Keeping different breeds together is most often not an issue.
    Adding/integrating new birds to an existing flock, no matter the breed, can most definitely cause problems due to territoriality issues.

Adding a single mature and well mannered male to a flock of females is probably the easiest integration.

Do you already have another cockbird (I'm thinking a black one?) in residence?
    That would probably necessitate separate quarters due to fighting as well your breeding goals.

6. steaknegger

steaknegger Just Hatched

Sep 24, 2016
    momence, IL
    Thanks for your reply. Good guess on the rooster, I have a year-and-a-half-old black Minorca that has been separated from the layer flock for about 2 weeks. He was becoming overly aggressive with the hens, packing and causing stressing my flock. He has already been given separate accommodation.

7. steaknegger

steaknegger Just Hatched

Sep 24, 2016
    momence, IL
    I have not had a problem in the past integrating Birds from separate flocks. My son shows several chickens at the County 4-H Fair, I find this a very opportune time to combine Birds since the pecking order is already disrupted by the removal of coop mates. I usually add them to the roost while they are sleeping. I have read, the birds of different sizes will not always get along. The New Hampshire seems to be a much larger bird, but then again, he is about to inherit a fairly large harem. I asked, because I generally try to think things through fairly well before I make changes concerning my chickens.

8. steaknegger

steaknegger Just Hatched

Sep 24, 2016
    momence, IL
    [​IMG]
    My Minorca "Raven" @ the fair last year.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's good...thus my clarifier "can". [​IMG]
    It's not always a problem, depends on many variables...lots of space probably being a key aspect.

Since you already have experience and understand keeping a mix of breeds together, pecking orders, integration, etc.
    You'll probably not have too much trouble figuring out how to house your project birds....not really sure just what your question is.

I guess if I wanted to do crosses with 2 different males, I would have 2 or 3 separate housing areas for options an flexibility.

10. steaknegger

steaknegger Just Hatched

Sep 24, 2016
    momence, IL
    I will only be using the New Hampshire for crosses. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with keeping these roosters in a mixed flock with smaller (but still standard) sized birds. I am not opposed to keeping him separate and breeding him when necessary, I just like to have a game plan, and hate having to build things at the last minute. I like to learn from other peoples experiences as much as possible. Perhaps the size difference is not enough to be a problem. I keep my Phoenix's separate because of the size difference and pecking. I try to keep their feathers nice to show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by