Breed Compatibility

gtb66

Songster
Jan 3, 2020
North Texas
We are about to be first time chicken owners and are deciding on which breeds to start with and if they are compatible with each other. We are in zone 7b and, after a little research, have narrowed down the birds we want to the Barred Plymouth Rock, Serama and Easter Egger. We will start with between 5-10 of each breed.

The question is...Will these breed play nicely with each other?

Thanks

The Plymouth Rock and Easter eggers should do fine. But I’d watch the seramas because they will be so much smaller than the others. They are the smallest breed of chicken. They may not play well together. They should be fine in your climate especially the Easter eggers. Good luck. And have fun.

That makes sense. I see that both the Plymouth Rock and the Easter Eggers have bantam versions. Is that an viable option? And is the trade off just smaller eggs?

Plymouth Rock bantams will still be twice of Seramas but they should be fine if brought up together and there’s plenty of each. The bantam varieties do lay smaller eggs, but they may also not be as productive their larger counterparts.

I had Modern Game bantams with large fowl hens. Major size difference. Zero issues. It all depends on your flock dynamics.

Last edited:
Seramas will need to be separated from the larger birds, and may need supplemental heat in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom