1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed confused! help please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BLT79, Mar 4, 2013.

1. BLT79

BLT79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    I don't have my chicks yet, and that may be a good thing due to me being a researchaholic! haha! Plus being indecisive! I had my chicks picked out at local TSC. Red sex links. After reading some info on these forums, I am second guessing! I initially wanted Black Austrolorps but not easy to find in orders of just 6. I also have to buy 6 at a time. We are new to this and actually wanted to just start with maybe 3. Then after awhile get maybe 3 more. Another confusing question, how long does the average hen lay eggs for? With all the following considerations in mind, please recommend the best chickens for us! 1)They have to be confined! 2)We have children of our own, plus large family of kids as well as neighbors. 3)We want egg layers. 4)Cannot have roosters. 5)Prefer quiet, docile ones. 6)Live in Northeast with winter temps reaching below 0 at times with wind. And temps in high 90's in summer. I think that is all. Thank you all so much in advance. I want to make the right decision for my family!

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi
    Come on over to the Heritage Large Fowl thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/11170
    The folks are realy freindly. Lots of veteran breedes and judges willing to help you figure out the best breed for you and your family, plus! help you find a quality source for them. I am in western PA and understand your needs. There are others on HLF who lso lie in the same climate as you.
    Looking forward to seeing you there!
    Best,
    Karen in western PA USA

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by