Breed confusion! Help please...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickadeedledum, Sep 22, 2009.

1. chickadeedledum

chickadeedledum New Egg

Sep 22, 2009
    I think the pet store did a dodgy- I was expecting 3 wyandotte bantams hens, but seems to me one is a male and only one is a wyandotte bantam.
    Breed and sex of my chicks???

This is the one I'm most worried about. It got a comb at only 3 weeks old, and is much bigger than the others.
    [​IMG]

Medium concerned
    [​IMG]

Not worried at all (i hope)
    [​IMG]

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    The black one is a Langshan or Australorp and probably a roo.
    The other two look to be Silver laced and Gold penciled Wyandottes.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Yep, only one Wyandotte.

I think the 1st one is a roo too. Thats alot of comb for that young and its pretty dark.

The good news is....they are all gorgeous!

And...[​IMG]

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Black one is girl but not Wyandotte.Second one look more rooish with this pink rose comb.Third one is girl and can be Partrige Wyandotte-show us comb picture.

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Yup.....and it's not a Langshan by any means.

6. chickadeedledum

chickadeedledum New Egg

Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. Here's a couple more pics. They're 6 wks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i wouldn't panic about the black australorp yet... australorps grow quickly... much more quickly than my easter eggers, sebrights, RIRs, cochins, or any other breed has...

the comb development could just be quick growth. when it starts turning bigger and red, then possibly worry a bit more.

8. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Quote:I second that!

9. charliesgirl

charliesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    my wyandottes look completely different, i dont know on that second pic. looks more like light brahma coloring...

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I bought "wyandottes" from my feed store too, but they turned out to be black sexlinks. One of them had a black comb too, but it changed to red as the pullet matured. Your black chick doesn't have any brown on its chest, does it?

The first one looks like either an australorp, black jersey giant, or black sexlink pullet.

If it has any brown coloring at all in its feathers, then it's probably a black sexlink (black star).

If not, then probably a black australorp or jersey giant. Our black australorps had white feathers on their wings when they were little - did yours? Check the bottoms of its feet - are they pink or yellow?

According to feathersite:
    "Australorps differ from Black Jersey Giants in that the legs of the Jersey Giant are black (some tending toward willow) and the underparts of the feet are yellow. In Lorps, the legs are black, shading to dark slate in adults, but the underparts of the feet are pinkish white. This works with good show stock, but hatchery stock is more variable and you can't ever be sure unless the birds grow to the size of Giants."

#2 may be a cockerel - its comb is pink and shouldn't be pink at 5-6 weeks of age. What color is the comb on #3?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by