Breed Conservation

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Okay guys! I need some input. We have been thinking about getting a second breed of chicken to work with. But we don't want just any old breed, we want something to work on and improve upon. Something bantam sized that would be considered 'rare' ... Does not have to be apa recognized the breed would purely for conservation and not profit. We want to help a breed that might be in danger other wise.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Bantam White Wyandottes need some help, while not all that ornamental they enjoy people.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    What a tough choice. Around here it seems like all bantams are rare excluding Silkies, Brahmas, and Cochins. Do you have any other expectations for your bantams? Winter hardy, broody or not, good egg layers, prefered colors, anything may help you limit it down. lol.

A few bantams that are rare: Dorkings, Russian Orloff, Nankin, Chantecler, Java, Holland, Lakenvelder, Campine, Catalana, Minorca, Houdan, Crevecour, and many more.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by