breed cross?Miracle babies?!!!!

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
I have had a very astounding discovery- I'll start from the top. I have two broody hens and no rooster. I ordered some fertilezed eggs for one and, on a whim, let the other keep her eggs even though its IMPOSSIBLE for them to be fertilized, right? Well today I was candleing my fertilized eggs and ,also on a whim, candled my unfertilized eggs. Well, my jaw slowly dropped as I realized the "infertile" eggs looked fertile!
ep.gif
. I checked with the candleing charts over and over and they still look fertile. Here are the possabilities I have thought of- 1.there are lots of ducks, pheasants and songbirds around my area, are any of those geneticly close enough to a chicken to breed with one? 2. There is another chicken farm right up my street that does have a rooster and they let all thier chickens free range once in a while, could the rooster escaped, wandered down to my place and "done his job"? 3. These chicks are pure miracles.

This is all exiting and great but my I am MOVING in two weeks. To a place where chickens are legal until someone complains and the more chickens the higher the risk that will happen. Does anyone have an explanation for this? I could realy do with some advice.

Thanks.

Well I am always keeping track of my eggs, for some reason it makes me happy. The eggs range from day 12 to day 5 so They'll probably all have hatched by the 27th.I don't have any new chickens if thats what you mean by if I have any chicks that could be roosters.

Wow, you are timing it close- you may have eggs hatching on the day you are moving if you are moving on the 27th, and you have some eggs at day 5. You may want to leave your chickens behind for a few days- not a good idea to move momma when she is hatching chicks or just bonding with them.

Chickens don't do the parthenogenesis thing, so there has to be a rooster involved if you have fertilized eggs. There occasionally will be hybrids between some species like guineas and chickens- but this is exceedingly rare. If you have fertilized eggs under the hen, the most likely explanation is the rooster down the street came a visiting, or you have a feminine looking rooster in your flock.....

Back
Top Bottom