Breed development question on Orps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, May 27, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm trying to upload pictures, but I'm having trouble with my service again. I know it's hard without pictures to support it, but I thought I'd try to ask in general for right now.

I hatched 5 Blue/Splash Orps from gumpsgirl. (they are 8 weeks old) 2 are obvious pullets and 1 is an obvious cockeral. But I have 2 that are "in between". There's very little to no comb growth (and it's not pink), but they have wattles. (that are pink)

So I'm wondering, is it possible they are pullets? Has anyone had wattles come in on a pullet? I just assumed at first they were cockerals, but the known cockeral is a lot different than these 2 now. It's bugging the crud out of me that I still can't tell on them.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have 2 pullets about 3 months old- they have had wattles for some time. I had thought they were roos at first too. Orps are the only single-combed breed I have had that have occasionally fooled me [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Great! So it is possible they are pullets.

It's so hard to tell with them, and it doesn't help any that they are splashes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: