Breed diagnosis for goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dusky Beauty, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I ordered some hatchery choice ducklings that are about 4 weeks old now, and I'm still not sure of the breeds. About what age will it be easy to tell if the grays are buffs/grays or be able to tell if they are graylag type cheese or swan goose type geese?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The neck feathers on Greylag look corrugated, if that helps any. They would need adult feathers.

You should be able to tell buffs from grays when they are in their gosling down. The buff geese are buff as goslings.

3. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I don't have much to work with yet. >_<

All of them cuties, but I just don't have the scope of experience to recognize the breeds.

I'm thinking some embdens, a couple chinese maybe. The gray in the back maybe a brown chinese/ mainstream african?
    One of the little whites (male) is TINY! He's either got a serious case of the runts, or he's a different breed.
    In the middle pic, far right, he's the same size, or even a little smaller than the cayuga duck all the way on the left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You want to know what type of geese your ducklings are?

(sorry, I'm just giving you a bad time). I don't see anything that I recognize. What breeds of geese are offered by the hatchery? Usually hatcheries don't offer very many different breeds, so that helps to narrow it down.

There are a couple of small breeds of geese, and if the hatchery sells any of those, it sounds like you got one.

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

I think she got them from ideal poultry.

[=Idealpoultry.com][/]

6. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Lets see, judging what they offer against what they had hatching that week -- Chinese white or brown, african (basic, not giant), toulouse, saddleback pomeranian (although no markings on any of mine) embdens, or tufted roman (but not observing any tufts or funky hairdos.)

(Oh and the ducklings are ultra rare Cayuga Geese! :D Seriously... they're getting large and in charge! LOL)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    At least I can tell you that you didn't get any Pomeranians.

Romans are smaller geese and the tuft is small, barely a button. Also, not all Tufted Romans actually get the tuft. I would guess that your small size gosling is a Roman.

Other than that, they all look like baby geese. I suspect you are going to have to wait until they get bigger to learn what they are.

8. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Well, they're great little gooses. I'm pleased with them and their personalities. Great first goose rearing experience.

9. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Im afraid I cant offer any advice at this stage and as Oregon Blues advised you're going to have to wait until they feather out and mature more to get an idea of breeds.

Enjoy them while they're so cute as this stage doesnt last long [​IMG]

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    The hatchery can't tell you what they sent you? i would send that picture to them and ask them to tell you what you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by