Breed? Easter egger or americauna?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crc310, Aug 22, 2013.

1. crc310

crc310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    I adopted this 3 YO hen. I was told she is an Americauna (Ameracauna?). Obviously, she isn't an Aracauna. How do I know if she is an EE vs Amer-cauna? She has given us 1 light blue egg so far. I know they are basically mutts, doesn't really make any difference for me, just curious! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's an Easter egger. Ameraucanas are a breed, with a standard of specific body colors, leg color, comb, etc. Easter eggers are often sold by hatcheries as ameraucanas, but they usually say they're bred for egg color and production, not for show.

3. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    She's a pretty Easter Egger.

Ameraucanas are a showable breed with a Standard of Perfection.
    Easter Eggers are mutts that lay coloured eggs.

Nothing wrong with EE's. Some people prefer them over Ameraucanas.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That is a beautiful Easter egger :)

5. adcgroup

adcgroup Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't think the APA recognizes an Ameracauna in that color. They have a "Brown/Red", but it's much darker. That aside, there are several Ameracauna characteristics that your hen does possess. She has a pea comb, green legs, curved beak, no visible wattles, and a beard with muffs (although the breed standard's beard & muffs are much more pronounced).

Some of the Ameracauna folks can get snooty about it, but I've had several of the brown ones that look like yours as well as some other colors. I've had many that exhibited all of the breed standard characteristics but did not fit a color. It's just the way it is. Mine have always had a sweet disposition though, which is one of the reasons I always have a few around.

More on the breed standard can be found here - http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html

6. crc310

crc310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Michigan
    Thanks guys!

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Amerauanas do not have willow/green legs. In fact, that's one of the first and easiest clues that a bird is an EE, not an Ameraucana. Ameraucanas must have slate blue legs.

8. adcgroup

adcgroup Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    True.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by