Breed For Me?

chicken boy sam

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
I am a 4-H'er and am looking to show ducks. I don't know if I'm getting them (Parents....) but if I do, I'm getting them from Metzer Farms. Here are my list of qualities that I need:
Easy to breed
Can't fly
Not too small
Good quality I could get from Metzer
Interesting to look at
Lays lots of eggs
Qualities that I want:
Broods

Two come to mind - Welsh Harlequin and Khaki Campbell. Can you get ahold of a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks? He has a chapter on breeds.

I have Indian Runners. Love'em. They are a smallish breed, though. Adult females weigh up to about 3.5 pounds. They stand up straight when they are on the alert. Mine stand at about two feet tall. Lay many eggs. But they are not the most ducky looking ducks. That is one thing I like about them!

I'm glad you asked this question. I have chickens and have been thinking about getting some ducks to add to my menagerie. I'd want them for egg laying and cuteness.

I've been reading the Duck forum over the past few days and the Welsh Harlequin and Khaki Campbells also stuck out to me. But, I did read that the runners were fun birds that laid a lot of eggs. I won't be adding ducks to my farm until next summer. I just added 26 chickens to my flock, so I want to wait to add ducks. Doing research in the meantime!

I think the OP is interested in showing with 4-H. I know nothing about ducks or 4-H, but I would suggest that you find out what ducks are common in your area and look for something the judges in your area will be familiar with. Don't want to show up with an odd bird no one knows anything about.
smile.png

I was thinking runners.......I LOVE them..... All kids have in 4-H are those little call ducks which are annoyingly loud and fly like crazy....... I was also thinking pekins because there's a rescue near me that rescues them. They also have a little mallard that's really cute. I don't think my mom will let me get ducks...

Back
Top Bottom