Breed, Gender & Age Unknown

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ksanford, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ksanford

ksanford New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    Largo, FL
    This bird was found as a stray near my workplace one week ago, and no one has stepped forward to claim it. Any ideas on what breed it may be, and what sex? I have my speculations, but am interested to hear the input of those more experienced with poultry than myself. The bird has a rust colored body with small splashes of penciled black and white on the wings and tail. Single comb. Yellow feet with slight feathering. Poor thing has a deformed wing and 0% body fat, but is otherwise healthy. Any guesses on its age as well?

I already have a small flock, which I will likely introduce this one into once I determine that it is well and truly abandoned.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

Karen

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a hatchery-quality (also known as production or commercial) Rhode Island Red. Its difficult to tell by the photo, but I think its a cockerel--those feathers are getting shiny, the comb is well-developed, the stance is upright, and I may see the beginnings of pointed saddle/hackle feathers. "It" appears to be around 4-5 months old.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He's a cockerel (for future reference in telling the gender of chickens, I say this because he has blotchy coloring, a large red comb for the age, and some greenish feathers in the tail). I'd say that he's a hatchery Rhode Island Red or a Production Red (a mix of various "red" breeds bred to lay eggs). As for the age, I'm going to make a guess that he is 3 and 1/2 - 4 months old or so.

Edit: Are there feathers on his legs? I think I might see some in the picture. If so, it would indicate that he's crossed with some feather legged breed.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  4. ksanford

ksanford New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Oh, I hope it doesn't turn out to be a roo. My established cockerel would not be pleased with that development.

5. ksanford

ksanford New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Yes, I guess "he" has light feathering on his legs. It has become more prominent in the last couple days.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixed breed cockerel. That's probably why he was dumped--the cockerel part, not the mixed breed part lol.

7. ksanford

ksanford New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    Largo, FL

That's a shame, but would explain a few things. He's very sweet, comes when spoken to, and will jump right into my hand. He doesn't mind being held or petted either; someone put some work into this bird, it seemed weird to find it all alone like that.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Or maybe all that "work" they put into him made a disrespectful rooster that attacked someone and got dumped instead of eaten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by